There are many things to consider when buying a used boat. From various brands and types of boats to cost and available options, the process can seem overwhelming. As a result, before you make a purchase, it is important to know what you can do to ensure you receive the highest quality used boat for your money. Ballast Point Yachts, a premier used boat dealer, offers 5 tips for individuals interested in buying a used boat.
1. Determine what type of boat you want. Before you even begin looking at boats, know exactly what kind of used boat you’re interested in buying. Even if you’re not familiar with brands, write down a list of the qualifications you want. Know how often you’ll be using the boat, where you’ll be taking it, and for what purpose it will be used. Are you using the boat for recreation or business? How much power do you want the boat to have?
2. Know how much you can spend. Again, before you even begin looking at boats, draw up your budget. Know how much you can spend at maximum. There’s nothing worse than finding yourself unexpectedly in debt after a boat purchase. Make sure you know how you’re going to pay for or finance your boat.
3. Don’t be afraid to shop around. Comparison shop to ensure that you’re getting the best deals. Look for reputable used boat dealers to make sure that you don’t get ripped off. Just like with used cars, it’s better to go through a professional and trustworthy dealer than any individual seller.
4. Do your due diligence. When you’ve narrowed down the boats you want, check their histories. How long have they been used? Have they had any previous mishaps or damage? A reputable dealer will be willing to give you a list of the previous owners and any damage the boat has suffered. Some boats on the market are stolen, and some will at first appear much less damaged than they actually are. Again, it’s important to go to a reputable dealer to buy your used boat to ensure you don’t run into these problems.
5. Hit the seas for a trial run. Inspect the boat yourself and ask for a sea trial. This should be done once you’ve narrowed down your list of options considerably. Go over every inch of the boat to make sure everything matches up. Ensure that the boat is what you’re looking for so that you don’t become disappointed with your investment. Once you’ve finished this, ask the dealer if you can take the boat out on the open water to see how it feels.
If you are interested in buying a used boat, contact Ballast Point Yachts Inc. We are a premier yacht brokerage and used boat dealer in San Diego, offering a one-stop-shop for all your boat buying needs. Click here to check out our inventory of used boats or contact us directly at 619-222-3620 to discuss your boat buying needs.